Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Different kinds of patients

Generally people are so nice and such a pleasure to care for, but every once in awhile you have that rare exception. Guess I was due yesterday.  40's male with a yen for the big gun pain meds..  Talk about sucking the joy out of the job!  This guy was such a jerk.  Nothing suited him.  He didn't like his room, he didn't like the food, we didn't answer the call light fast enough..  (How could he tell?  It was on again before almost before we left the room)


Being a nurse is such a study of human nature.  You see people at their very basic.  Sometimes it is pure pleasure.  I remember the man that came in with chest pain and through tests was diagnosed with end stage cancer.  He took the news with such dignity, his only concern being for his wife.  I really admired him.


Anyway, today is a new day and "the jerk" should have been discharged by the time I get there!  


Tridil

1 comment:

  1. I came across many of those in my nursing career! I worked in Mother Baby Unit and the mothers would come in from L&D and complain that they didn't get their private room (because they were all taken)and I just wanted to slap them because here they have a beautiful new baby. They are not dying of cancer. Get over it!! Of course I never did, but you know the feeling!!

    ReplyDelete