Thursday, August 12, 2010

Yesterday's Shift

I've been working in CVOPS for the summer.  This is where the outpatients come to have a heart catherization or pacemaker insertion/battery change out.  It was a crazy day, patients came bam bam bam.  It takes me about an hour and a half to get a patient prepped for their procedure. 


I need to enter their home meds in computer, make sure I have orders, insert an IV, start fluids, take their medical history, get them shaved/prepped and get all the paperwork in order for the physician.  We have just recently become entirely computerized and the doctors just HATE it.  


One doc told me he spent 20 minutes looking for the "q" on the keyboard as he is not a typer.  Hired his college papers typed for him....  I was talking to one of the super users that are there for a month to help all of us through this transition and he told me this is all Medicare driven.  I don't know if this is part of Obama care or not but I do know that doctors and nurses are now spending way more time at the computer than with the patient.  This sure isn't what I signed on for, but it is what it is...
  


Off for the week end now.  Spending it with my love and my pups!
Tridil

No comments:

Post a Comment